10/23/2006

Ways People Have Recently Introduced Themselves to Me

ed. note: this post is by Biss, who is prevented from posting by technical difficulties.



Sweating and large, 40 minutes late for rehearsal, clutching a bag of loose grocery rolls. "I need all this starch if I'm going to hit the high notes."
Maestro, "Let's take it from 2 bars before."

His two chins, "I could use two bars." Offers rolls around while sopranos and altos chime in.

Meastro, "From measure Aa."

--"See?! Oh, there I thought batteries."

****

When you read this sentence say it out loud to someone today, in terrifying seriousness.
"I'm going to put so much coke up your nose."

Mace was placed on a shopping list the next day.


********

Some Shawarma stand. Oasis.
"Oh so nice to see you again!" Clutches hands.
"Oh no, you're not gonna get me like that. I just moved here; this is my first time here... ever."

(filler)

"Oh, you are from Philadelphia? I have my brother over there. He always say come, be with me here. He very rich man. He owns the store Wawa."


****
Climbing the 12 story fire escape to the roof of home, a 1919-established belt factory, a woman with a bleached crew cut burst out of the Newport smoke to screech (at me?)
"There are cameras up there. I'm not telling you not to go up to the roof because I don't want you to go to the roof, I am telling you because there are cameras there and some people have recently gotten evictions. So just, no. There are cameras."

My legs felt wobbly all night after that, so I was either totally out of shape, or she was a ghost.
*****

Homeless man in Valley Green. "Yo, there gonna be a Halloween party here?"

1 comment:

JS said...

You might be surprised to know that 14 out of 35 multifarious people that I said "I am going to put so much coke up your nose" to today responded "Really?", looks of interest on their faces.