10/10/2006

The Video Game Name Generator and its Sarcastic Pessimism


"Fabulous Disco City... Thought I'd never find you, huh, you terrorist motherfucker..." --JS

I got this in my e-mail today. I was shocked at its poisonous personality. It didn't spare anyone in its rapid-fire indictments of human society.



It started out by taking pithy parodic jabs at the conservative Right:
Dangerous NASCAR Rave
Third-World Bow Hunter Spectacular

And cracked cheap jokes about our penal system:
Fatal Manlove 2000

I told it that we weren't that kind of blog, though, and told it the type of thing we were trying to do. It didn't hold back.

The generator ridiculed Jake for his daydreams while toting golf bags:
Fantasy Techno Mansion
Fabulous Disco City

It used apt, if unsettling, neo-Vergilian epic metaphorical imagery to describe the tension of the Phillies' stretch run:
Hitler's Dental Arena

Called Mark E. Smith names:
European Hobo Crusader

But then proceeded to dismiss Pavement as mere imitators:
Spectacular Karaoke Operation

The motherfucker even started satirizing Mahavishnu Orchestra song titles, and could tell it was getting to me:
Hindu Underwater in the Sky
Spirit of the Crystal World

So then it parodied my affection toward Bonnaroo:
Pagan Bongo Spectacular
Incomprehensible Vegetarian Thieves

And was deeply critical of the 700 Club:
Inept Music Armageddon
Creepy Breakdancing Maxx.

However, eventually it placated me by saying nice things about Wolf Parade, the Canadian Electric Daredevils. All in all, I find its criticisms to be thought-provoking yet excessive.

No comments: