10/02/2006

9/20/06 Part 2: Not Enough DJs


Shining Disco Ball

2 Many DJs
Pure
9/20/06, 1:00 A.M.- 2:45 A.M.

So clearly the night was off to a great start. Making Time residents Dave P and JDH did a nice job of holding things down while 2 Many got ready. Dave & Josh didn't let things get too out of hand, but were able to keep everybody dancing, playing awesome grinders like "Poney Part 1" and Fedde Le Grande's "Put Your Hands Up For Detroit." They took great care of their guests. They gave the Belgians a crowd of Philly heads on a silver platter. For me though, this best laid of plans backfired. The easy setup led to an entirely, in my opinion, half-assed set from an act half of which could have "change my life." (RVNG)

What I expected out of 2 Many was a set in the same vein as their ground breaking mixes, the As Heard On Radio Soulwax series. I was hoping to hear some Rolling Stones, some Beatles, some Beck, some Garbage, some Rap. (There's alot of really good '90s Rap and Soul in the Radio mixes, especially 5-7.) I was hoping to hear an on the fly mash-up of Daft Punk and Lil' Wayne. I was hoping for humor, the facetious kind. I was hoping for eclecticism. I guess that 2MDJs saw a crowd that was ready to explode and figured they should push that button. So instead of a trumpet-funk-march track called "Refried Salsa", I got electro bangers. I don't really fault 2MDJs, as I am 100% sure that I am the only person @ Pure who was disappointed.


See


Even chicks love 2MDJs (btw, Randall Cunningham, great Eagles QB, or best Eagles QB ever?)


Everybody loves it

But I love the Radio mixes. Usually, I like what 2 Many spun-- Tiga, Oizo, Bloc Party Rmxs and "Juppiter Room"-- alot. Here in Philly, though, we already have DJs that expertly spin this stuff. We have guys (Dave, Adam, Julian) that play the jawns to get us off, so in no way was 2MDJs changing my life. I know. I wanted 2 much. I wanted 2MDJs to wine and dine me. I wanted them to riff with me before on me.

I love Philly nights. I love the crowd that comes together and loses their collective mind. I love Dave P djing these nights, a guy who by now has basically become the friend of every indie-minded person in the city, whether they know it or not. Prejudiced against Belgium? Probably. Or maybe I just wanted a stranger to give me something different, something to broaden my horizons. Is that 2 much 2 ask from 2 Many? After all, Optimo did it.

*****T.P.O. Officially Endorses Optimo @ Fluid on Thurs. Oct. 19*****

No comments: