9/25/2006

"Rough and tumble blue-collar Philadelphia"

Adam Moerder's ostensible interview notes on location at the North Star Bar in Philadelphia:

"So, what do you think of the Junior Boys, had you heard much of them before tonight?"

"My son, yeah he was in that 21st Ward league bout tree four years ago and I heard about that from my daughter's husband who worked with a couple guys had their sons dere, what you got a son's lookin for a lig to play in or something or..."

"Sir, excuse me, I meant the band the Junior Boys, at the North Star Bar later this evening. Do you not know of their music? It's very accessible, I can't imagine anyone having trouble getting into it."

"Oh you muss mean, nah, nah that's my brother, Jack Jr. he's at Roman there and I think Jack's got him playin that trombone, see him from a mile away with that thing on the bus, people are going to wonder what's in there and think it's worth some money or some, you know what I mean? I don't know about..."

"Dear Lord, how gauche. Sorry, sir, I must ask this woman a few questions now. Ma'am, excuse me, Adam Moerder, yes yes, please may I have a moment of your time, so is everyone in your city really so far behind on their appreciation of electro-pop?"

"What, you mean my father, you mean, he was trying to wire up one them sallites on his roof and he stuck his finger right up in that wire and got blown clear off into the backyard, there? What you gonna bring that up for, that was fifteen years ago, for Christ's sakes."

"This is outrageous. Excuse me, ma'am. Excuse me, young lady, are you familiar with So This is Goodbye, the newest Junior Boys record?"

"HAAAAAANH?"

Oh, sweet heavens! Who... oh look, yes you sir sir in the tight jeans. Sir, do you think that the Junior Boys have evolved since Last Exit in terms of their sound, or is this more of an isolated statement on their part?"

"Who you mean the Frazitti boys, both the brother's young sons they did the tile for me over on that duplex we did out near Cottman, yeah that was tree four months ago, what you wanna know was they on time, eh, lots of times they had those Portarickan kids there early in the mornin and they came in all hung over themselves at like 10 AM but they, you know they work pretty quick and they sweep up all their shit so it don't get all over the place, so..."

"This town is the very picture of sweating ignorance. Let me try someone a bit younger. Excuse me, are you in high school? What do you think about pop music? Is it moving toward electronic instrumentation as people show increasing willingness to suspend disbelief?"

"Yeah bro, I can't believe it eitha, I just got suspended the fifth time this year plus they searched my locker and found four Oxys, so I get automatic jail, but I think my Ma is gonna say they was her prescription and that'll get me less than a week in the can, so I can probably get back to work and if I can sell a lot of these new high-end Motorolas this month I can get enough for that booze cruise with Mikey and them. How'd you know?"

"Taxi! Oh, for crying out loud, pal, put out your cigarette!"

No comments: