5/03/2007

Exhibit B



Today on Bitchfork (Whose bitch? The dollar's.):

Stream: M.I.A. - Hit That

"Who knew M.I.A. could do subdued (the appropiate tone for a sex jam, keep reading)? Over this skeletal (unfinished), stuttering (unsure) Bangladesh Production beat, her voice actually sounds smooth in places (good enough). Just in case the song's title was unclear, she's driving the point home: This is a sex jam. Of course, it's also about how awesome she is (you're kidding me, right?), and her trademark cockiness (TM) is still omnipresent. Even her come-ons sound like challenges ("Boys let me see you hit that"). Still, it's an interesting change of pace (bad career move) to hear her over a beat that isn't all destruction, terror, and mayhem."

--------------------------------------------------

I had a talk with a few people that know about these things in August 2005, and we agreed M.I.A. would be finished after Arular-- she couldn't possibly have anything left to say. If "Hit That" represents the entirety of Kala, then we were right. This Spank Rock move was all too inevitable, and sounds just as awful if not more so coming from Maya. If, after brutally punishing yourself for four minutes, you think you can still defend this song-- well, you know what, you're right, and I'm wrong, you're under Pitchfork's umbrella.

No comments: