5/09/2007

Sorry We Haven't Been Blogging. We Forgot To Take Our Freakum Dresses Off


Just playin, B

T.P.O.'s "Freakum Dress" Spectacular


I know, you need some explanation. I have not yet listened to B'day. I figured why bother, there'll be videos for all the "good" songs, I'll get what I need from MTV Jams. Kinda liked "Ring the Alarm", not so much the others. (So far I think "Deja Vu", "Irreplacable" and "Upgrade You".?) "Deja Vu", well, indeed. "Irreplacable" is the most misleading song title of all time. Also, its message is way more devilish than any Lily Allen could birth. "Upgrade You" is too cocky, and way too materialistic. To be expected, (yawn), etc. Then I heard "Freakum Dress".

While everybody still trendfucks Justice and new rave and Diplo and sleaze, I'll make my stand here, and say "Freakum Dress" has become my "Best Song Ever" for this week, and right now, I can't imagine liking anything more this year. The video debuted either early last month or very late in March, which for me means 2007 single. Can I talk about the song now?

Thematically, "FD", amazingly, offends no one, and moreover is universally relatable. We all have that one goto outfit. The one that fits perfectly, for your physique and spirit. Mine? I'll tell. It's a dark gray t-shirt that reads "Creature of the Night" and a bullet-hole riddled pair of Diesel's. It's a song about looking, but more importantly feeling your best, and thankfully Beyonce's vocals are complementary: her most confident and powerful yet, even more so than on "Crazy in Love."

Musically, the Rich Harrison production also outshines former standard "Crazy". On "Freakum Dress" the producer deepens the bass, immediately giving the song a more delightfully sinister feel than its predecessor. The muted, synthetic saxes, and understated Morse code beeps, as opposed to the blaring trumpets of "Crazy", wisely defer to, rather than struggle against, Beyonce's brilliant performance.

"Freakum Dress" exemplifies my ideal pop single. It celebrates and empowers, has universal appeal, and does so tastefully and concisely. Hey, Indiedom, the song hasn't blown up like it should. You won't lose face if you get behind it. What you will do though is show that discriminating crossover knowledge and eclecticism you now spuriously tout.

No comments: