12/08/2006

Indie Rock's Undisputed Queen of News Reviews Diplo's Next Record




Ladies and Gentlemen, Her Majesty, Amy Phillips



Diplo
Ivela Fresh Booty Blast*
[Hollertronix; 2007]
Rating: 9.8





Did I tell you about that time last November that I ran into Diplo at Chicago's ________ club? K, so I was there with my girls and Wes, we're on a first name basis now, just thought I'D let YOU know, so Wes, he was there with his boys. So I, an empowered young lady, approached him and introduced myself, "Hi Wes, Amy. No, no, Amy Phillips. Pitchfork." My gosh was he cute too, dressed in a long, white, plain tee. And that ass... Laaaaaadies! "Oh yeah, I met you at Intonation a couple of years ago. How's it going, Amy?" "Um, Dips (my pet name for him) are you still dating M.I.A?" "Hey, have I told you about my new project? I actually just came from the studio and have the recording on me. Maybe you could do something with it, like give me more good press that I don't deserve."

The story goes that Diplo went to the Ivory Coast to hand out some free copies of his latest mix Favela Strikes Back 2. Dips said, "I just felt like they (Ivory Coast) really needed some Favela."



People were very grateful to Wes for the gift, and took him back to one of their villages deep in the jungle. On the walk Dips was listening to even more Favela on his iPod, when he overheard some totally bitching afro-beat emanating from the jungle. A lightning bolt hurled down by Zeus himself, from on high, struck Dips. "Dude, this stuff mashes up really well. It's like uber tribal." And thus Ivela Fresh Booty Blast was born.

You might not believe it, but the blend results in something that sounds just like Baltimore House. That is to say, it's great booty music. "Drive Thru Revolution" is without doubt the "guns in the air" jam of the year. "We Got Rubber" sounds like it was produced by the Neptunes, whereas "Fucking Snakes" is more Timbo, but think Timbo and Missy, not Timbo and Justin. But don't think for one minute that this album is all fun and games. Like all great records, it's deep too. Clearly Dips' ventures into the third world have had a profound effect on him. How else could someone come up with as beautiful an album closer as "Rainforests and AIDS?" On this one Diplo does such a masterful job restraining the afro-beat and the favela wails that while listening to it you'd swear he has AIDS.

Not only is Wes hot, but he's a visionary too. Who else could have realized the potential in fusing indie with the 3rd world with the butt? No other record of 2007 will have the same global impact as Ivela Fresh Booty Blast.

-- Amy Phillips, July 11, 2007

* Denotes Best New Music

LATER THAT DAY...

Pitchfork News Bulletin

Today, July 11, 2007, Ivory Coast terrorists have flown an airplane into Phildelphia's brand new Comcast Tower. The Comcast Tower was so big that the ensuing fire destroyed all of downtown Philadelphia. I still hate Philadelphia. Anyways, thank god, ladies, no harm came to my Dips. Wes had already arrived in New York for his show tonight at the Knitting Factory.

Posted by Amy Phillips in terror on Tues. 07-11-07: 01:15 P.M. CST | Permalink

1 comment:

NBS said...

generous photo