12/12/2006

Crate Digging 2006: Daft Punk's Homework


Just a couple of faces in the crowd

So much music came out this year, too much if you ask me. (check those 857 Papoose freestyles) Alot of it was really good too. It seemed like there was zero opportunity for crate digging this year. Well here's a dig for most kids 11 or younger in 1996. It's called Daft Punk's Homework. If you like electronic/house music, and haven't heard this, all of it, be prepared to hear something that's far better than 2006's batch of indifferent house. It's been 10 years. Reflection on this record and renewed admiration for it are more than fitting. So I made a card to express my feelings for a true benchmark in the history of electronic music.

My 10th Anniversary eCard to Homework



Dear Homework,

You've given me so much over the last ten years. You've given me "Around the World", still the world's quintessential party starter. Never have three words had such an impact on how I interact with music. Never have three words salvaged so many of my desperate nights. I think "Revolution 909" is the fifth best song ever. "Teachers" taught me everything I need to know about rock music, "Da Funk" everything that I need to know about robots. Where would dance music in general be without you? Would the vocoder's potential be realized? Would lengthy repetition be acceptable? Would there be "uncompromising" 4/4? Would people's shit ever really get lost? And you have more to give. Eventually the public will recognize "Oh Yeah" as the world's next great breakbeat track. Someday DJs around the world will hear the floor potential in "High Fidelity", "Burnin" and "Indo Silver Club".

I just wanted to let you know how much I still appreciate you. ✓+

Happy 10th Anniversary
JS

No comments: