11/30/2007

My first two records from 2008:





Yeah.

The name Atlas Sound has stuck in my head ever since I first heard it. I found out recently that it is derived from the brand of tape player that Bradford Cox used as a child to make his first recordings. But before that, in my efforts to parse it, I had gotten to thinking that Cox is a man who has upheld a ponderous burden but looks upon the world without malice or jaundice. He is someone on whose shoulders the earth as a whole might weigh heavily, as an outgrowth of what one could call an unfortunate lot, if one were to put stock in that sort of thing. Yet he keeps his mind occupied with wonder and genius, and makes these unbelievable records, so even if this sound is the Atlas sound, Cox is Atlas sound. Unbowed.

Maybe I'm a dildo and he didn't mean for the name to evoke any of that. The point is, I invite you to try to name a person as rad as Bradford Cox right now, and to get in an argument with me about it, and lose. I can't review the record quite yet, but I am going to.

I really like Black Mountain, too.

No comments: