7/03/2007

This Could Be The Beginning Of The End, But Dammit, I Like T.I. Vs. T.I.P.


I don't want to say that T.I.'s freaked out by white people, but he might be. Do we really make faces like that? I would be scared too


Not going to go here (Okay, I have to admit it, I don't dislike "Independent Women"), I'll just tell you how I hear it, no generalizations or vagaries. I don't know anything about T.I.'s previous records or singles, and I really don't care. I'm talking about the new record only. It's really smart. It's a record that can win a Grammy, while maintaining its street cred. I really think this record may actually be a watershed moment for rap. Factions have emerged, either you're into trap, or party, or backpack. But this record is sometimes all three, and it really may be the genre's first and only record to achieve such universality. "Act III: T.I. Vs. T.I.P. The Confrontation" reveals it best. Here T.I. is schizophrenic. He concretizes the struggle between an inveterate need to keep it hood (T.I.P), and the rational desire to not get shot and enjoy the wealth born out of his hardship (T.I.). The result, with a little bit of inference, is that T.I. makes a better philosophical point than any backpack song ever could: the struggle needs to occur, an individual such as T.I. must live both ways of life, he needs to achieve a balance.

There's also this really great party rap song on the record, it's called "Show It To Me." No surprise it features Nelly, and it's simply about asses. Can't wait for the video.

No comments: